41th NMA Day celebrated - 1st Nov
Nepal Mountaineering Association celebrated its 41st Anniversary Day on 1st November 2014 at NMA Secretariat, Naxal Kathmandu. Secretary for Ministry of Tourism, Mr. Suresh Man Shrestha was the chief guest of the program. High level government officials, advisors and members of NMA and representative from different tourism related organization were present in the program. The chief guest of the program inaugurated the program by hoisting NMA flag.
After the welcome speech delivered by first VP Mr. Santa Bir Lama, Mr. Ramesh Dhamala- Coordinator, Joint Tourism Coordination Committee and Ms. Yankila Sherpa- Chief advisor also express their views on the activities of NMA.
Mr. Ang Tshering Sherpa announced the name of the award receivers, which are as follows:
1. Late Kumar Khadka Bikram Adventurous Award - This award is given to helicopter Captain Pilot Jason Andrew Laing for his active involvement in the avalanche happened on Everest on 18 April 2014. He has great experience on long rain rescue and he was actively involved in the following rescue activities on different mountains.
- 9th April 2014 Mt. Ama Dablam
- 22nd April 2014 Birunchi
- 30th April 2014 Ama Dablam
- 23rd April 2014 Himlung
- 27th April 2014 Annapurna I
2. Dr. Harka Gurung Mountaineering Award – This award is given to America national Mr. Broughton Coburn for his contribution for the development of our mountain tourism. He has been coming to Nepal since 40 years ahd written many books on the mountain tourism of Nepal. Some of his books are as follows :
- Everest : Mountain without mercy
- Triump on Everest : A Photo – Biography of Sir Edmund Hillary
- Touching my Father's Soul – A Sherpa's Jouney to the top of Everest
- Himalaya : personal stories of Grandeur, Challenge, and Hope
- The Vast Unknown: America's First Ascent of Everest
- Aama in America
- Nepali Aama
3. Dawa Norbu Mountaineering Journalist Award – This award is given to by Mr. Amrit Bhadgaunle for his continuous writings focused on different tourism destinations of Nepal. His article gives information about the destination including mode of transportation, equipments and clothes that should be carried with explanation on the pricing etc.
The award receivers were selected by Award Selection and Evaluation Committee headed by Mr. Buddhi Narayan Shrestha. The other members of the committee were Dr. Ganesh Gurung, Rajendra Man Shrestha- Secretary, Puspa Raj Katwal- Representative, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, Dr. Nima Namgyal Sherpa- Convener, Mountaineering Rescue Committee, Hari Raj Joshi- President, JAT Nepal and Jinesh Sindurakar- CEO as Member Secretary.
Dr. Ganesh Gurung Member of Award selection Committee explained about the critereas and procedure that were followed for the selection of award receivers.
The award will be distributed in its Annual General Assembly in September.
Protocol Agreement signed-20 Nov
Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA) and China Tibet Mountaineering Association (CTMA) signed protocol agreement on 18 November 2014 at NMA Secretariat in the presence of Secretary of Nepal Tourism, Culture and Civil Aviation, Mr. Suresh Man Shrestha. Zhang Ming Xing, Leader of Delegation & General Secretary of CTMA and Ang Tshering Sherpa, President of Nepal Mountaineering Association singed on the protocol agreement.
Detail of the agreement is as follows:
Protocol Agreement between Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA) & China Tibet Mountaineering Association-TAR (CTMA)
The relationship between the China Tibet Mountaineering Association and Nepal Mountaineering Association goes back to over three decades. Since then both the associations have been making concerted efforts to improve mountain climbing and people's appreciation of nature as sports.
In order to develop creative mountain climbing activities, it is very important that the China Tibet Mountaineering Association and the Nepal Mountaineering Association deepen their friendship to promote mutual understanding.
Therefore, China Tibet Mountaineering Association and Nepal Mountaineering Association shall agree :
To exchange project by sharing information on mountain climbing and mountain climbing techniques,
To share information related with mountaineering environment and its effect on mountain climate,
To explore the ideas and approaches that will boost tourism in both the countries,
To share knowledge on mountaineering training and rescue techniques on mountains to develop mountaineering as safe profession, and
To develop a mechanism of skilled human resources of mountaineering, which will help to explore the common issues and agendas of mountain tourism.
Considering the above objectives, both the Associations are willing to promote this exchange project by sharing information on mountain climbing and mountain climbing techniques, and realizing that such an exchange project plays an important role in fostering closer friendship between the two associations,
The China Tibet Mountaineering Association and the Nepal Mountaineering Association hereby agree to establish to renew the formal friendship and fully commit themselves to continue their efforts hand in hand under the lofty peaks in the clear blue sky.
The Protocol Agreement was signed on 18 November 2014, Kathmandu, Nepal.
Heartfelt condolence expressed to Mr. Om Man Shrestha
Nepal Mountaineering Association members attended cremation ceremony of Late. Mr. Om Man Shrestha at Pashupati on 20th November, 2014.NMA expressed heartfelt condolence to Mr. Om Man Shrestha(Ex- Executive Board Member of NMA) ,who passed away on 19th November, 2014 wishing his departed soul to be rest In peace.
Late. Mr. Om Man Shrestha
NMA Delegation left for UAAA GA- 21 Nov
NMA President Ang Tshering Sherpa led the delegation team of NMA for the General Assembly of UAAA and its 20th Annivesary to be held in Hiroshima, Japan from 22 - 26 Nov 2014. The other members of the delegation team are as folllow:
Mr. Mohan Krishna Sapkota- Joint Secretary of Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation
Mr. Tulasi Prasad Gautam- Director General, Department of Tourism
Mr. Santa Bir Lama- Ist VP
Deebas Bikram Shah- IInd VP
Thakur Raj Pandey- General Secretary
Tika Ram Gurung-Treasurer
Churrim Sherpa-Board Member
Lakpa Sherpa- Board Member
Prem Gurung- Board Member
Bimal Naharki- Board Member
NMA Secretary Rajendra Man Shrestha, Board Member Hari Prasad Shrestha, CAO Jinesh Sindurakar, and other staff saw them off at NMA Secretariat.