Anyone with Nepali citizenship who meets any one of the following categories are eligible to apply for general membership.
- Certificate of successful summit of any eight thousand meters (8000m) peaks.
- Certificate from Nepal Mountaineering Association for summiting any three of 27 NMA peaks.
- Shareholders of a trekking agency registered in NMA are categorized as a resource member (Note: One person from each company is only eligible for the membership).
- Certificate of completion of Advance Mountaineering Course (AMC).
- Completed Masters degree and have been working in the field of mountain tourism for five years and more.
Once one becomes the General member at NMA they should renew their membership every year by paying Nrs. 1000. In case of fail to renew the membership they have to pay the fine according to the rules of NMA.